Subject: Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

From: Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:06:43 +0200

> A coordinated effort to cull patches would be good but really the only
> time that is doable is during devcon (which I believe happend also).
> That doesnt solve any of the following problems though:
> 1) the author has gone, the patch might be great but if noone wants to
> take ownership of the patch it is going to be left to rot (either on
> the tracker or in svn)
> 2) every patch will have someone saying this maybe isnt a good idea
> (for any number of reasons)
> 3) most of the patches everyone is indifferent to, but we dont want to
> import 300 patches in one hit!
> 4) author hasnt given us his full name, patch is ready to go otherwise
> but cant be accepted
> 5) patches are still a bit of a pain to actually commit (download,
> merge, sync, commit with the correct formatted message)

I agree with all these points except the 0 :) Doing this only at the devcon
has the drawback that everyone is not there so people still need to involve
via internet with all the usual problems (coordination, work, ...) but it's
nicer, for sure. And reviewing 500 patches in one go is likely to be hard :)