Subject: Re: A commit message template?

Re: A commit message template?

From: Marcin Bukat <marcin.bukat_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:02:25 +0200

2010/9/18 Jens Arnold <jens_at_jens-arnold.net>:
>>> complaining about commit messages except extremely trivial commits, so
>>> really all this would do is slow down actual development and make
>>> committing either more controversial (in that not doing it right could
>>> potentially blow up every time) or more annoying.
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> First, yes it will slow down the actual commit with a few seconds or
>> minutes for the single individual that does that work.
>
> I'm all for setting some basic guidelines for what a commit message should
> contain, but I don't like the idea of a strict template. This is mostly for
> technical reasons though.
>
> I started hacking rockbox using cygwin, and cygwin svn doesn't set an
> editor, probably because the default cygwin installation doesn't contain
> one. So I became used to using the -m option for the commit message, and
> that makes it very difficult to do line breaks. When switching to a linux VM
> later, I kept this habit, mainly because I can't find a cui editor that
> doesn't annoy me.
>
> I also think that pre-wrapping is worse than just letting the viewer tool do
> it. Sometimes it's useful to have separate paragraphs though.
>
> Just my € 0.02
>
> Jens

For me commit message should contain what subsystem it touches, FS it
is related to and description what is changed in general. I don't feel
like strict template is needed. Coming back to the origin of this
discussion - fix red/yellow is perfectly ok for me as such message has
strict context of fixing previous commit. 'grumble' from the other
side does tell nothing about what is changed. Speaking this I would
like to kindly ask JG of a bit more descriptive commit messages in the
future.

wodz