dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: release 3.7 agenda

Re: release 3.7 agenda

From: Frank Gevaerts <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 00:20:14 +0200

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 08:38:40PM +1100, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> Hey,
> There has been a bit of talk over releasing 3.7 and it always seems to
> come down to waiting for "skin related stability" and such. I suggest
> freezing at the end of this week and releasing the following week
> (around the 17th).

I'm not sure.

On the "no" side, we have reports of display corruption on some monochrome
players, and some crashes on others. I'm not sure how good or bad the
situation really is here, i.e. how many people have problems.

On the "release quickly" side, we have some issues that would be solved
just by releasing:
- AMSv1 sansas that were stable at 3.6 got a new bootloader in July
  which boots rockbox when USB is plugged in. 3.6 on AMSv1 doesn't do
  USB yet. This results in reboot loops on all recent 3.6 installs on
- the "3.6 for clip" issue (this one can probably be solved by leaving
  the clip marked as stable on the front page, but downgrading it again
  in the scripts until 3.7)

In general I think we tend to forget about stable releases a bit too
often. It's easy to tell people to try a current build when they ask for
help, but a large number of people install a stable build and just try
to live with whatever issues it has. Of course we can always do a point
release, but I don't think we should release with known bugs now just
because "we can fix them later"


"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
Received on 2010-10-07

Page template was last modified "Tue Sep 7 00:00:02 2021" The Rockbox Crew -- Privacy Policy