Rockbox mail archiveSubject: Re: release 3.7 agenda
Re: release 3.7 agenda
From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:08:16 +1100
On 7 October 2010 09:20, Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 08:38:40PM +1100, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>> There has been a bit of talk over releasing 3.7 and it always seems to
>> come down to waiting for "skin related stability" and such. I suggest
>> freezing at the end of this week and releasing the following week
>> (around the 17th).
> I'm not sure.
> On the "no" side, we have reports of display corruption on some monochrome
> players, and some crashes on others. I'm not sure how good or bad the
> situation really is here, i.e. how many people have problems.
> On the "release quickly" side, we have some issues that would be solved
> just by releasing:
> - AMSv1 sansas that were stable at 3.6 got a new bootloader in July
> which boots rockbox when USB is plugged in. 3.6 on AMSv1 doesn't do
> USB yet. This results in reboot loops on all recent 3.6 installs on
> - the "3.6 for clip" issue (this one can probably be solved by leaving
> the clip marked as stable on the front page, but downgrading it again
> in the scripts until 3.7)
> In general I think we tend to forget about stable releases a bit too
> often. It's easy to tell people to try a current build when they ask for
> help, but a large number of people install a stable build and just try
> to live with whatever issues it has. Of course we can always do a point
> release, but I don't think we should release with known bugs now just
> because "we can fix them later"
Well the reason I started this was to get an idea of how bad the skin
bugs are. The vast majority of people arnt using monochrome displays,
and the knowns issues which do affect everyone (%t not working) could
hardly be considered a show stopper.
Going by the (lock of) replies to this thread I dont see any reason to
continue postponing a release.
Received on 2010-10-07