Subject: Re: The next release

Re: The next release

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:08:14 +0200

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:47:06PM +0100, Dave Chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The "Release 3.7, freeze on Monday" thread seems to have been hijacked,
> so to bring the subject up again, are we freezing now?

I think we should, yes.

> I'm also trying to catch up on Rockbox developments over the past few
> months, and am wondering if the theme breakage is a reason to bump to
> 4.0?

I believe we've had at least one earlier theme-incompatible release in
the 3.x series.

> I've read the earlier thread about waiting for something big, like a
> stable RaaA port before 4.0, but maybe that could be the reason for 5.0,
> along with a big (long-term) push to reduce the number of open bugs.

I'm still in favour of 3.7. Apart from incompatible themes we really
only have the usual bunch of new stable ports, some new plugins, and
some codec improvements. I'd expect most end users don't make their
own themes, so to them this may instead look like gratuitous attention
seeking.

> From a user's point of view, I think referring to themes working with
> Rockbox 3.x or Rockbox 4.x has a nice simplicity.

It would have, but I don't think it works anyway

Frank