Subject: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: sideral <asieoniezi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 23:02:30 +0100

Rockbox developers,

I'm interested in your opinion on the following patch, and in finding an
interested developer that's willing to shepherd it to an eventual merge:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11748

This patch adds an automatic multi-resume feature that supports complex
listening habits, such as skipping back and forth among multiple
half-played tracks (such as long podcasts and audiobooks). It
automatically remembers and restores a resume position for each track
without user intervention, without relying on the bookmarking system,
and without requiring any special navigation; resuming works whichever
way a track is found (file browser, database, playlist). The only
precondition is that the database has been initialized (the resume
position is stored in the database).

In summary, it works like this: Whenever playback of a track is stopped,
the current playback offset is stored. (The offset is reset if a track
is played all the way to its end.) The offset is optionally restored
whenever a track is played back again. Autoresume can be customized
depending on filename, genre tag, and separately for manual and
automatic track change.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, but I invite you to
first read through the tracker item. In it I have addressed many
concerns already, including why I have chosen to implement this feature
using the database instead of building upon the bookmarking mechanism.
Also, keep in mind that the patch has evolved since first posted to the
tracker: I have resolved the caveats mentioned in my first posting, and
I no longer consider the latest patch experimental.

Thanks,
sideral