Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: sideral <asieoniezi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:55:47 +0100

Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com> writes:

> Question: suppose the feature is enabled, and the user does (as you
> suggest) skip through a playlist using next/prev track to find a nice
> podcast to listen to. After listening to that podcast, they do it
> again to find another good one. This second time round, they'll begin
> listening to each from where they left off from the skipping from
> round 1? How to then subsequently restart playback from the beginning
> of 'this' podcast?

Very good question, thanks Dave!

For one thing, you can always rewind using the incremental rewind
function (hold rewind key).

But there's another mechanism that comes to rescue here: The resume
position is only updated if a track is played for longer than 15
seconds. So, in your scenario, if the user skips through the playlist
and doesn't play each track for longer than 15 seconds, the resume
positions will still be where they were at the outset of the exercise.

BTW, both features, prevent rewind to start and resume-position update
only when elapsed play time > 15s, have been contributed by an early
tester of my patch, Dave Slusher. (Visit the tracker item (FS#11748)
for details.)

Cheers,
sideral