Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:09:09 -0500

This is part of an earlier email I had composed in response to AlexP but
never sent. I think it works here just as well...

On 12/15/2010 07:11 PM, Paul Louden wrote:
> To be fair it could be handled like the recording folder, with a "Set as
> resumable folder" or something, allowing the user the freedom to select
> which folder it is rather than forcing a specific one.
>
> But I still feel that whether it's just files within one folder, or all
> files, or even "all files over 10 minutes long" or some other criteria
> based on tags or whatever, there's still other problems too.

Well I don't see many ways it can be accomplished.
A - location bases defining of podcasts and or audiobooks (hereafter
referred to as simply podcasts).
B - File extension based defining.
C - File metadata (tag) based defining.
D - Rockbox-specific metadata not stored in the file.

Solution A is the subject of this particular subthread.
Solution B doesn't address Paul's concerns either.
Solution C doesn't pass what I like to call the "vacation test". If I'm
away from home, using a family member or friend's computer, needing a
specific piece of PC software to make Rockbox behave is almost as bad as
forcing the user to install iTunes. ;)
I don't think I need to bring up arguments against solution D. ;)

I'm very much against anything which doesn't pass the "vacation test".
I spend a great deal of my life out of town and away from my primary
computers. Not having to add specific tags to an audio file is very
important to me. I imagine I am not alone in that.