Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:33:31 +0100

On 18.12.2010 00:10, sideral wrote:

> The existing skipping-prevention features do not work for me because my
> goal actually is not losing the resume position, rather than preventing
> skipping. In fact, I'd hate to loose the ability to jump between tracks
> (party mode) or even to use any other Rockbox feature (UI lock).
>
> Therefore, I added an option to disable solely the feature that erases
> the current playback offset: the rewind to 0:00 function. If enabled, a
> short Left click (for all resumable files, or optionally for all files)
> skips back to the previous track (after storing the current playback
> position as the current track's resume offset).
>
> I realize that this function is not for everyone; it represents a
> tradeoff a user has to make between a useful feature (rewind to 0:00)
> and the desire to never accidentally lose a resume position. Hence, it
> is configurable.
>

> I actually didn't describe it very well in earlier messages. The
> correct answer for the present patch is the second: The resume point is
> not updated if it is in the first 15 seconds of the track.

That's one thing I didn't understand (among others). If the resume
position is not updated in the first 15s, why do you need to disable
rewind to 0:00 (which is done to save the "precious resume point"). IIRC
it wouldn't be updated anyway. On that note, I feel disabling rewind to
0:00 is a very (too) aggressive approach to save the resume.

Additionally, and that's probably because it's not my use case, but I
find the preciousness you put into a resume point exaggerated.

Best regards.