Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: sideral <asieoniezi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 00:51:56 +0100

Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> writes:

> My personal use case of auto resume would be this:
>
> Music - doesn't need to be resumed (but don't care if the first song I
> select is resumed, since I can skip back once if this happens).
>
> Audiobooks - always resume the first file, but never later files in
> the playlist. Because my audiobooks sometimes are composed of many
> small files, and sometimes a single large file, the filtering by size
> option is also prone to get things wrong about these were I to need to
> use it.
>
> Podcasts - Resume multiple files in the same playlist, in case I have
> a few incomplete ones I wish to finish off, and because I never have
> two-file podcasts.

This matches my own use case very closely.

> Music and podcasts can be handled by his feature. Or music and
> audiobooks. But not a combination of the use case I'd like involving
> both audiobooks and podcasts.

My experience with the feature tells me that this is a nonissue. Even
with resume on automatic track change enabled, later chapters of an
audiobook are virtually never resumed in the middle simply because no
resume point has been stored for them. This is the typical case because
unlike podcasts, audiobook chapters are almost always played in
sequence.

sideral