Subject: Upgrading coldfire gcc

Upgrading coldfire gcc

From: Nils Wallménius <nils.wallmenius_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:59:23 +0100

Hi, I've been experimenting with building rockbox with newer versions
of gcc and i think gcc 4.5.2 seems llike a good choice for an upgrade
for our coldfire targets.

The new toolchain builds rockbox fine, code size is slightly reduced
and performance looks good.

Here's a link to a comparison of test_codec results on my h300:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17484767/h300_test_codec_gcc4.5.2_vs_svn.ods

All codecs with files in the test_files set were tested at O[123] and
compared to speeds with gcc 3.4.6.
There are large speedups for aac and flac.
Small speedups for ac3, ape (mostly c1000), alac, atrac, cook, mpc
libmad is a little weird: mp3 is a little faster (3-5%), mp2 is ~10%
faster but mp1 is 2-4% slower

vorbis is slowed down 0.5-2.5%
wma is slowed down 1-3.5%

so it looks like an overall win to me.

There are some things i'm not sure about though.
Should we keep the old toolchain around? And if so, should
rockboxdev.sh be able to select which version to build and should
configure deal with the different versons (they need different command
line args). I think that for point releases of the 3.7 branch we can
and should keep the old toolchain and drop support for it from trunk.
If we want to keep the old toolchain the prefix scheme in
rockboxdev.sh needs adjustment as the way it works now only allows one
toolchain per target and abi.

I have only been able to test on h300, woods tested on hd300 so if
people want to test on other players or test more on those, here are
some test builds.

Test builds (including test plugins)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17484767/rockbox-h100.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17484767/rockbox-h120.zip