Subject: Ladies and gentlemen, ...

Ladies and gentlemen, ...

From: Michael Sparmann <theseven_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:36:03 +0100

... we have sound on the iPod Classic!
(also called iPod 6G/6.5G/7G sometimes)

The track it just played was "Bon Jovi - What Do You Got".

I must admit that this wasn't played by a Rockbox build yet, but by a
test application compiled for the emBIOS kernel of the freemyipod.org
project. However, now that all the important drivers are up and running,
porting them to Rockbox should not be too hard.

Dave is currently looking into this, and I'll join his efforts now :)

We're currently bootstrapping through the iPod's ROM DFU mode (and some
nice exploit for it), which has the disadvantage that one needs to use
special software tools (and a libusb driver on Windows) to get it going.
However, it has the advantage that one can try out things without
needing to write anything to non-volatile storage (but we can also flash
a bootloader permanently for an "untethered jailbreak").

This means that there is no really easy way of installation yet, but
tech savvy people should be able to start playing around with it as of
now. Feel free to ask me for further details. :)

Stay tuned for the upcoming Rockbox port!

Michael aka. TheSeven.