Subject: Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

Re: Automatic multi-resume feature for podcasts and audiobooks (FS#11748)

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:33:58 +1100

Here is my proposal after ignoring alot of this thread and thinking
about the technical issues....

What I would like to see is this:

1) Strip out the current bookmark system, its old, needs work and
doesnt work with all playlist types
2) Implement a simple system which keeps track of all track stoppages
with enough information to resume the playlist as it was (this means
at worst case making a copy of .playlist_control for dynamic
playlists). This info should be stored on disk, but not necessarily in
a human readable format, and absolutely should not be tied to tagcache
(at least tagcache as it currently is).

Now with that we then add on some glue to get bookmarks back, we can
add a plugin to export a resume state to a .bmark file (and of course
reimport .bmark to new format), and autoresume can be VERY simply
added on top of this also.
It could also have tagtree support so it can be added to the Database
tree listing.

This would also remove the on disk clutter of .bmark files (unless you
wanted to export them) which would be nice.

I personally have no problems with the idea, I just wish it were
implemented more cleanly and bookmarking were fixed.

Jonathan