Subject: possible gsoc idea: playlist resume framework project

possible gsoc idea: playlist resume framework project

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:53:44 +1100

Disclaimer: this isnt really fleshed out so feel free to add more points.

One very annoying thing with rockbox is that there are 3(or more)
different playlist types which dont all work the same way (especially
in regard to restarting them). IIUC bookmarks only works with file
based dirplay (as opposed to db "dirplay" or in ram playlists).

Then if you can resume a playlist there might be bookmarks for it, or
the new automatic resume stuff, or whatever so it is a bit of a mess.

What I'd like to see is a single 'something' which will take absolutly
any playlist type and make a useable resume point from it which can
then be accessed by the bokmark browser or checked on track change for
the auto resume, whatever..

The obvious solution is simply making a copy of ,.playst_control file
just before playback stop (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9407
starts this) but this has other issues.

Lastly, if you do resume a dirplay playlist but you add/remove files
the resume point could very likely be inside a different track than
was stopped, so on playback stop the last track name being played
should be stored in .playlist_control (or some other system if a big
overhaul happens) so we can detect if the track changed and do
something intellegant

Jonathan