Subject: GSoC 2011 unionfs Project Idea

GSoC 2011 unionfs Project Idea

From: Marcelo Galvão Póvoa <marspeoplester_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 00:01:39 -0300

Hello everyone,

My name is Marcelo, I'm a student from Brazil wiling to participate in
GSoC 2011 (already did once last year). I discovered rockbox some time
ago and installed on my clip+. Since then, I've customized it a little
by writing a theme, using tagnavi (though I normally use folder
navigation), applying patches and messing a bit with some plugins
code. It has showed a really nice and powerful DAP firmware for me!

Well, I just saw the SoC page in the wiki and the unionfs project
caught my attention. I've already wondered about having this feature
and found the old thread in the forums but didn't see the patch. This
would be a really nice treat for those who prefer browsing by folders
like me. However, I understand it should have a kind of involved
implementation and unfortunately I don't have experience with file
systems programming. I hope it will be a feasible task in case I am
assigned to this project.

I've been wondering about how would work having two file systems
merged together. For instance, if the two disks were almost full and
the user would like to copy a rather large folder (that wouldn't fit
in any disk by itself), the kernel would be able to split the files
across the free space of both disks? I mean, that should be like a
100% transparent single file system to the user? I guess it should be
taken some care with organizing newly created files because the user
will see the disks separated when in a desktop.

I've read the tagnavi documentation and I guess it's not possible to
create a "unionfs-like" hierarchical folder view inside the database.
If it were possible, it would be read-only but I think that would be a
much easier solution. How about that?

Hoping to hear from you guys

Regards,
Marcelo