Subject: ARM emulator GSoC project

ARM emulator GSoC project

From: Leif Andersen <leif_at_leifandersen.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:09:35 -0600

Hello Rockbox community

I am a computer engineering student at the University of Utah
(undergrad). I was reading over the GSoC project idea, and saw the Arm
Emulator project, and would like to do it.

I went to #rockbox, and discussed the project for a bit. I was also
recommended to announce this to the mailing list. I have checked out
the source code and am playing around with it. I have an environment
set up (I've played with cross compilers in the past, mainly with older
versions of the android ndk), and have built it for several build
targets. I've also started to play around with the code, so I can get
an idea of what structure it has. Once I have a good grip of the code
base, I also plan on seeing if I can squash a few bugs and/or add
desired functionality to Rockbox.

Is there anything else I should do to be considered for this project?
Also, out of the suggested projects, how high is this one on the list of
projects that the Rockbox community would like done? I noticed that
last year Rockbox only got three projects. And if I need to do a
different project, there are other projects that also look interesting
and fun to do this summer such as "Text To Speech", or even "Rockbox
web/online services".

Thank you for your feedback.
--
~Leif Andersen