Subject: GSoC 2011 Idea - Audio Codec Optimisation

GSoC 2011 Idea - Audio Codec Optimisation

From: Saurabh=>100Rab!!! _at_IT BHU <saurabhkumar322iitbhu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:34:12 +0530

Hello All,

I am Saurabh Kumar , currently a junior undergraduate student in Computer
Science & Engineering at Institute of Technology , Banaras Hindu University,
India.
I am interested to work upon Audio Codec Optimisation project proposal for
GSoC 2011.
I seriously believe that if we want to increase Rockbox's acceptence among
users , it should solve the most basic purpose of jukebox firmware. i.e. it
should be able to utilise the hardware resources as much as possible, in
terms of memory management, battery backup and output quality. Audio Codec
Optimisation is something which will affect all these three factors and I
really feel that there exists some scope in improvement of the existing
decoders in Rockbox.

To learn more about audio codecs , I worked upon the ffmpegFLAC library for
decoding flac files and meanwhile,was also able to fix a bug FS#9186. The
bug was that when a broken flac file was played (in that case, the file that
was truncated) it happened that the decoder outputted constant loud noise
instead of just skipping to the next track. I submitted a patch which fixes
this problem. As soon as the execution reached the broken part of the file ,
it silently skipped to the next track in the playlist. I tested the code on
simulators of Apple Ipod 4G Grayscale and Philips GoGear HDD6330 where it
worked perfectly.
While working on that , I also found out that the flac decoder files
misses(as per my perception) some features such as the MD5 signature
verification. I would like to add that it can be very useful to include the
MD5 signature verification as it can detect some serious transmission errors
related to the flac file. Your comments are welcome upon this !
Also , working upon the codecs gave me strong feeling that I should really
go for this project in GSoC 2011. I was wondering what should I do in order
to increase my chances of being accepted in GSoC 2011 for Rockbox ?
I also hang out in the #rockbox IRC channel under the nick "Hindu" .

Please do reply,

Saurabh Kumar
Junior Undergraduate Student
B.Tech , Part III