Subject: Re: Git update

Re: Git update

From: Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 21:23:52 +0100

On 3 July 2011 18:42, Francisco Vila <paconet.org_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/3 Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>:
>> This would probably be useful once we have some git instructions, but
>> ideally translators would not be using a read-only clone, and would
>> instead upload their patch to gerrit as a proposed change. Other than
>> the need to set up an ssh key once it's not any more steps than
>> producing a patch (just replace git format-patch with git push origin
>> refs/for/master).
>
> Well, that obviously raises the barrier for sporadic contributors a
> bit higher. Overmore, an authorized pusher for each and every
> translator equals multiplying the number of auth pushers enormously.
> It's up to you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "overmore" ("furthermore"?), but
*anyone* can push patches to gerrit. You don't need any authorization.
refs/for/master is a magic branch name that creates a code review with
the patch in it, which a committer can come and look at (the same way
they would an emailed patch) and then hit the "submit" button if they
think it's okay. This is *less* effort for the committers, because
they don't need to actually update their tree, apply a patch, and
commit it: it's literally one button :)

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk