Subject: Re: Line endings (a thrilling topic, I know)

Re: Line endings (a thrilling topic, I know)

From: Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 09:39:28 +0100

On 7 July 2011 07:00, Thomas Martitz <kugel_at_rockbox.org> wrote:
> TortoiseGit has more settings in that regard so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'm not sure we need to force anything? Can't we just batch-convert to LF
> and then leave things as is?

If we mark all text files as text (to ensure they are normalised on
commit) but don't specify a preferred line ending, then all Windows
implementations of git will *default* to converting those files to
CRLF on checkout. Individual users can change that setting on their
git if they want, but that's the default. This might build OK, or it
might not (it's possible some of the current issues are because in svn
we have a mixture of eol style settings) :)

If we do literally nothing and do not specify any file attributes at
all, then people will be able to freely introduce files with CRLFs
into the repository in future, even if we fix all the files now. I
don't think we should allow this, because we know there are Windows
users amongst our contributors and however diligent they might be it's
not really visible that you are about to make a mistake.

If you want to see more details for how git handles this, check out
man 5 gitattributes (the text and eol attributes) and man 1 git-config
(core.eol, core.safecrlf and core.autocrlf).

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk