Subject: Re: jdgordon: r30599 - in trunk/apps: . gui/skin_engine

Re: jdgordon: r30599 - in trunk/apps: . gui/skin_engine

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:43:45 +1000

On 28 September 2011 17:24, pondlife <pondlife_at_pondlife.me> wrote:
>> TBH, I would like to revert this commit.
>
> FWIW, I agree.  A solution is needed to this memory waste, but this isn't
> it.
>
> pondlife

Very quickly, the skin buffer always was a memory hog, but now that
the big items (images, fonts) are in buflib there is completly no
sensible size that can be used. something like 50% of the usage is now
on the tree elements which are alloced once for *each* item, ilike on
the nano does 41KB for that while cabbie does 15ish. there is no way
to reduce this by enough to make it worth it (reducing the struct by 4
bytes still isnt enough to make a real dent).

if someone were to make the whole skin system buflib aware then ok,
but that isnt going to happen, this solution (admittedly quirky) is
the only solution that allows people to enjoy *big* themes without
forcing people who want very bare theme to lose a considerable amount
of buffer space.

So go ahead and revert it if you all care that much. I ignored the
thread initially because of the attitude and not the suggestion. Had
it been brought up in a civil manner then things may be different
(Though unlikely).

Hope someone picks up skin_engine maintenance soon.