Subject: Re: Proposal for git commit guidelines/policy

Re: Proposal for git commit guidelines/policy

From: Barry Wardell <barry.wardell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:10:45 +0100

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Torne Wuff <
torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk> wrote:

> > Other than this
> > I think that maybe allowing push-merge should be one time permission
> > to avoid situation that someone forget about having push-merge
> > privilege. As I understand push-merge will not be so common anyway.
>
> I don't think we can easily enforce this, but we could encourage it.
> You are able to remove yourself from the group as easily as you can
> add yourself, so if people want to remove themselves to protect
> against mistakes that's no problem.

The most common case where I unintentionally introduce a merge commit is
when I am doing case 1) and I pull but forget to also rebase. I then push a
merge commit which is unnecessary and which makes the history messier than
it needs to be.

To try to avoid this, I use a hook [
https://github.com/barrywardell/git-module/blob/master/update.merge] which
blocks these unintentional merge commits from being pushed, while allowing
through deliberate merge commits (those where both branches of the merge
exist on the server). This works for me in the use cases I have encountered.

If there was something similar in place for those who have push-merge
permissions, then it could prevent most mistakes.

Barry