Subject: Ladies and gentlemen, we have sound on the Sansa Clip Zip!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have sound on the Sansa Clip Zip!

From: Bertrik Sikken <bertrik_at_sikken.nl>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:55:02 +0100

The Sansa Clip Zip played its first song in the evening of 2011-10-29,
the song played was Mylo - Drop the pressure.

Working code for both the bootloader and the main firmware is already
in SVN and should be relatively safe for developers.

This player is actually quite similar to the Sansa Clip+ so a lot of
code was already there. The biggest initial obstacle was the display.
Judging from the original firmware, it is possible for the Sansa Clip
Zip to have to different kinds of displays. One of which we have a
datasheet for, but that's not the type in my Clip Zip :)

Unique for this player is the relatively narrow display, only 96 pixels.
There is no other target with this horizontal resolution, so things like
the WPS and various graphics need to be freshly created and many plugins
may need tweaking. Plugins are currently disabled for that reason.

A nice thing on this player is RDS support for the fm tuner (si4703).
It's been a long time interest for me to improve RDS support in rockbox
and this is a target where it's relatively easy for me to hack on.

Things you can do if you want to help:
* general testing
* creating a WPS and/or a WFMS for 96x96x16
* creating graphics (USB logo, plugin graphics/alignment, manual)
* make plugins compile and run
* help with RDS support
* improve/optimise/complete drivers (e.g. add yuv_blit support)
* user manual work

Kind regards,
Bertrik