Subject: Re: having pluginlib-action handling more/all plugin.

Re: having pluginlib-action handling more/all plugin.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:13:53 -0600

We've more or less tried using pluginlib actions to have generalized
keymaps. The problem is, it simply doesn't really work. Since the
directional keys can be quite different from target to target (on
wheel targets up and down are going to be wheel up and down, whereas
on joystick targets it will be movements of the stick, and sometimes
both can work and sometimes each will need to be handled
individually).

Generally speaking, the reason they don't all use actions is because
it turns out that in reality you still need to look at every plugin to
make sure its keymap works, unless it's a very simply controlled
plugin (which are the ones we typically already have using actions).

This is one of those cases where the idea has been tried in the past,
didn't work out as well as expected, and we moved on from it to what
we have now. Going back to it would be a regression without a strong
plan to resolve the issues that have already been seen.