Subject: PP502x cache bug and ATA DMA test build

PP502x cache bug and ATA DMA test build

From: Boris Gjenero <boris.gjenero_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 20:17:42 -0500

Hello All!

I created a test build for PP502x based devices. You can download it from:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16662598/Rockbox/pp502x_cache_test/index.html

Using it, you can help answer the following questions:

1) Which PP502x chips are affected by the FS#12391 cache bug? Load
/pp502x_cache_test/unaltered.ipod or /pp502x_cache_test/unaltered.mi4,
run /pp502x_cache_test/pp502x_cache_test.rock and see if it reports
mismatches. If the bug is present, you should see mismatches within a
few minutes. You can find your CPU type in System -> Debug (Keep Out!)
-> View HW info.

2) If the bug is present, is the workaround reliable? Boot normally or
load /.rockbox/rockbox.ipod or /.rockbox/rockbox.mi4, and run
/pp502x_cache_test/pp502x_cache_test.rock. You shouldn't ever see
any mismatches. Run the test for a substantially longer time than what
was needed to see mismatches.

3) If the workaround is reliable, is PP502x ATA DMA stable? Use Rockbox
normally. Make sure you test database creation and functionality. You
can confirm that DMA is being used in System ->
Debug (Keep Out!) -> View disk info.

More information is available in /pp502x_cache_test/README.txt. If using
a sansac200, sansae200, gogearsa9200, gogearhdd6330 or ipodnano1g, read
the exceptions section there.

You can report your findings to me and I will summarize them here. If
you replaced the original hard disk with something different, please
also report that information.

Best Regards,

Boris