Subject: Changing build/release terminology

Changing build/release terminology

From: Torne Wuff <torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:49:18 +0100

Hi folks,

I would like to propose that we change our terminology used to
describe the builds and releases, on the website and in Rockbox
Utility. Currently we talk about "release" and "current build" a lot,
and this confuses users over and over who don't understand the
distinction, and I am inclined to agree with people who think this is
confusing.

I propose that we do our best to switch to the following terminology
consistently in our written materials:

1) "Stable release": e.g. stable release 3.10.
2) "Development build": e.g. development build abc123g.
3) "Archived development build": the daily snapshots Rockbox Utility
can install.

I think this would make the distinction much clearer, and it would
also help to make it clear that the daily snapshots are not something
most people should install (currently people often believe they are
somehow more stable/reliable than the current builds, which is not the
case).

Please, reply with your thoughts. I'm not set on these particular
terms, it's just an initial proposal.

Thanks,

--
Torne Wuff