Subject: Re: android and voicing

Re: android and voicing

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:18:35 +0200

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Peter Lecky <lecky_lists_at_nextra.sk> wrote:
> Is it possible to generate voice files for android builds? Or are

yes, but it's a bit tricky. You can:
- use the voice file generation feature of the build system. Of course
this requires a working build setup.
- use Rockbox Utility's feature to create a voice file from the
language strings on the target. These aren't bundled for Android right
now, so you'd need to adjust the build system, then retrieve some
files from the apk and fake a device with these files to trick Rockbox
Utility into accepting it -- it doesn't know about Android. So in the
end you also need a working build setup here.
- use the voice file generation code from Rockbox Utility to write a
standalone application that creates voice files. This is something on
my list of "would be nice" things, but since it's rather low priority
I don't see anything happening on that soon. Given the way Rockbox
Utility is structured it shouldn't be too hard though. The note about
the voice strings on target as said before apply for this case as
well, so you also need a working build setup.

> there some plans to implement accessibility things (it is relatively
> easy to make android apps accessible with standard screen reader in
> jelly bean)

I don't know about plans. However, I don't think anyone would object a
patch for this :)

 - Dominik