Subject: Re: Replaygain prevent clipping on by default

Re: Replaygain prevent clipping on by default

From: Torne Wuff <torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:55:07 +0100

On 15 October 2012 22:14, Thomas Martitz <kugel_at_rockbox.org> wrote:
> Am 15.10.2012 22:53, schrieb Alex Parker:
>
>> On 15/10/12 21:48, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think we should turn it on by default.
>>>
>>> a) It imposes quite a CPU load on affected files, since it requires more
>>> DSP processing (in contrast to just replay gain).
>>

>> Well according to Torne it is essentially free
>> (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,38781.msg207084.html#msg207084)
>>
>> So who is right?
>>

> He's probably right, since he looked at the code more recently. In my memory
> didn't use tags but dsp-processed the songs but I may be wrong. I also
> didn't know about these tags.

I could easily be wrong, I don't know how our dsp system works very
well :) I looked in dsp_replaygain_update in
lib/rbcodec/dsp/dsp-misc.c and it looks like it just takes the peak
value from the metadata and checks if the replaygain value would put
it over, and if so makes it smaller. This appears to get called on
track change and on replaygain settings change, then it just sets it
as the static gain value applied on decoding.

If there's any code somewhere else that's doing something with it,
then I missed it :)

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk