Subject: Re: elf loader

Re: elf loader

From: Thomas Martitz <kugel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:54:29 +0100

Am 26.10.2012 22:27, schrieb Marcin Bukat:
> Hello rockboxers!
>

> TODOs/others:
> If this change would be integrated into mainline code it implies a few things:
> - SH and MIPS toolchains are too old to support this reliably and need updating.
> - It is questionable if this is desired thing for SH. This targets are
> very limited both in binsize allowed and in ram. If someone move some
> parts of the core to the loaded on demand core plugins (like database
> for example) it may still be beneficial. New toolchain with -flto and

The required effort to support SH increases; it's basically a bigger
maintenance burden with every commit. And yet, the main developers
behind these targets are inactive.

I would really rather see that we drop SH completely (making 3.12 the
last release for them) and don't have to support *two* binary loaders at
the same time.

As you noted, the feature is not very useful for those targets. That's
true for most (if not all) commits in the recent history. That simply
indicates they are complete and we shouldn't bother with keeping them
alive at high costs.

And I totally mean it.

Best regards.