Subject: Re: horrible hack to get remote control accessory to work

Re: horrible hack to get remote control accessory to work

From: Andrei Purdea <purdea.andrei_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:14:43 +0200

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Jonas Wielicki
<j.wielicki_at_sotecware.net> wrote:
> Applying your patch would make the remote useless for anything beyond
> playback control, which is not what I expect it to do. Just my two
> cents, as said, I'm not a dev.

Actually, If you look at most ipod remotes over at ebay, some of them have
menu, scroll, and enter buttons, in addition to
the play/pause, volume+-, and next/prev buttons (and others too).
Here's a remote that has separate navigation buttons too:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-IR-Wireless-FM-Transmitter-Remote-Control-Controller-4-iPod-Touch-Nano-2G-3G-/170980694843?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Remotes&hash=item27cf3e5b3b

Mine has only 5 buttons, but I just found out that it has a playback,
and a navigation mode, and I can switch to navigation mode
by holding down the right, and volumedown buttons at the same time for
2 seconds.
(this is mine: http://www.buyijet.com/top-products/ijet-nav-black-with-square-remote.html)

And the original ipod firmware works as expected: In playback mode
I can only control the music playback, even if some other menu is open.

If I switch to navigation mode, then i'm controlling the currently shown menu.

Rockbox seems to completely ignore the navigation mode.
I'm guessing my remote is probably using the last 4 codes from this list:
https://nuxx.net/wiki/Apple_Accessory_Protocol#iPod_Remote_.28Mode_2.29
But I haven't checked yet.

I think rockbox should work just like the original firmware in this respect,
and that means fixing the navigation mode (or navigation keys for
many-key remotes)
and forcing the playback control keys to only control playback and nothing else.

How many buttons do the iriver remotes have?
Could they benefit from a configuration option that allows the user
to force playback controls only for the remote?

Andrei