Subject: Re: GSoC 2013

Re: GSoC 2013

From: Marcin Bukat <marcin.bukat_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:03:58 +0100

2013/2/13 Austin Appel <scorche15_at_gmail.com>:
> So, I guess I will make this short: do we want to make the push to do GSoC
> again this year or not?

The real question is if we have sound GSoC project ideas AND devs who
could mentor. I'd like to propose one more idea this year:
elf loader - PoC code http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/326. The things
left to do is switching codecs to elf as well, get rid of overlays,
cleanups, tests, toolchains switch for SH and MIPS
(http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/336/,
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/346/). Quite educative work with high
chance of success.

Another thing is that during DevCon2011 we decided that GPLv3 plugins
are ok as long as we provide the way to switch them off, that means
espeak port is perfectly doable. I played a bit with flite also and it
should be possible to run it on our highmem targets as well. Porting
flite will be more complicated though.

wo