Subject: Digital Radio: help needed

Digital Radio: help needed

From: Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:55:47 +0200

Hi all,
this is actually more a help request. As you may know, some mp3 players
from creative (Zen X-Fi2/3 and others) use a very weird and low level radio
tuner called the STFM1000. Among other things this chip has the peculiarity
to be a digital radio chip, ie it does the ADC step for you and provides
you with the L+R, L-R and RDS channels over a proprietary digital link
(called DRI). Now the thing is that if we want to support this kind of
chip, we need to implement some "Digital Radio" knowledge into
Rockboxbecause it is very different from other tuner:
- audio routing is completely different, you need to playback instead of
using analog bypass
- recording is completely different, you have the raw data and don't need
to ADC
Unfortunately I don't know the audio part of Rockbox very well (and radio
too) so I would appreciate any help or suggestion from knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance,

Amaury Pouly