Subject: modifying Rockbox for disabled child

modifying Rockbox for disabled child

From: Gay S <ot4tots_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 15:10:16 +0000 (UTC)

I'm hoping someone here can help me. My son, who is blind and has a number of other disabilities, uses a sanza zip with rockbox. He is 100% independent in playing his music which is WONDERFUL!!! The problem we are having is that he deletes songs frequently. After trying everything I can think of to help him stop, I've come to the conclusion that he just doesn't have the impulse control to stop. Difficulty inhibiting behaviors is one of the specific characteristics of his neurological problems.

I want him to be able to enjoy his music and have his mp3 all the time without the worry that he will delete things. He's 16 and having an mp3 player one of the most normal things he can do.

I'd like to appeal to your group for help. I am not computer savvy. I'm also a single parent and work full time. Realistically, there is no way I can take on learning to do what is needed to modify his mp3. It has been suggested when I've posted in the forum that there might be a way to remove "delete" as an option on the player. I've tried making things "read only" but that doesn't keep them from being deleted.

In addition to eliminating the delete option, there are two other modifications that would be helpful. He needs a volume limiter (he is deaf in one ear, so protecting the hearing in his one good ear is critical). It would also be helpful if he could not get into (or not change) the settings. Without these things that tempt him and then become huge sources of upset when he messes them up, he could just enjoy listening to his music.

Is there someone who would be willing to modify a player for him? I could order a new Zip and have it sent to you. I would be happy to pay for your services. We are in Charlottesville, VA if there is someone in the area.

Thank you.
Gay Singletary
ot4tots_at_comcast.net