Subject: Re: Extending the metronome plugin

Re: Extending the metronome plugin

From: Thomas Orgis <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 21:46:51 +0200

Am Sun, 22 Jun 2014 21:06:15 +0200
schrieb Al Le <>:

> Will it still be a metronome then? Or rather a beat machine? I.e.
> another plugin.

Well, my working title is "metronome2" right now and I'm working on a
copy from the original one. I see the term "metronome" applicable to a
device (application) that can play a pattern like "tick-tock-tock-tock"
for 4/4 rhythm and "tick-tock-tock" for 3/4. Because that's what
current hardware metronomes do. Well, actually, something like this is
still called "metronome":

I had a cheap variant of that some time ago and it was fun playing
with it as a drum machine in a sense, tuning in and out the various
intermediate notes. Kind of overkill for a musician who just wants to
keep time, though.

The second point, being able to play tempo maps à la, could be argued to be more than a plain
metronome. But actually, it is just an automated/programmed metronome.
It still does tick-tock, not boom-crack;-)

I see the point of adding it as a more complex variant in parallel to
the current metronome (esp. since I intend to change the default sound
to nicely annoying square wave, sounding similar to the electronic
metronomes I know) ... though, what would be a good name, then?

Alrighty then,

PS: In the UISimulator, the metronome seems to struggle to keep time,
similar to one of the worse ones I found for Android, where accurate
timing is non-trivial.