Subject: Re: Rick Dangerous coming to Rockbox... a new (old) game for the best DAP firmware ever! :)

Re: Rick Dangerous coming to Rockbox... a new (old) game for the best DAP firmware ever! :)

From: Marcin Bukat <marcin.bukat_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 09:58:21 +0200

I'd like to introduce you xrick - a clone of the game Rick Dangerous, which
has now been officially ported to Rockbox.

Lovely!

> = About code review/integration into main Rockbox tree =
>
> How best to proceed from here? Should I open a new bug/feature in
> Flyspray? Should I just push a new commit to gerrit following the steps
> mentioned in "www.rockbox.org/wiki/UsingGit"?
> What's the preferred way to integrate my code into git repo? I am no git
> expert, but I was thinking about doing a subtree merge into
> "${ROCKBOX_DIR}/apps/plugins/xrick" folder... or maybe a adding a
> submodule... What do you guys suggest?
> Ideally I'd like to keep all commit history and allow any future fixes
> eventually done on my repo to be easily merged back into Rockbox.
>
> You should commit to gerrit. Flyspray is for bugs only. Putting all files
in subdir ${ROCKBOX_DIR}/apps/plugins/xrick is the way to go.

---------------
> = Legal stuff =
>
> All hardcoded data (graphics, text, etc) has been removed from source
> files -data is now loaded from external resource files- to (hopefully)
> avoid any legal troubles in integrating xrick sources.
> I've spoken to the original author of xrick and He's planning to tweak the
> README to reflect all this.
> In the meanwhile, any feedback/suggestion to ease this integration is
> highly appreciated.

This should work. This is the same situation as with emulators which we
allow. The question is where from you get resource files. There should be
at least free demo available IMO (but from the other hand we don't request
availability of free roms for emulators).

> The port has been tested on iRiver H320 and iPod Video, on these targets
> it's fully working and complete.
> I've added support for grayscale targets and been able to successfully
> compile and run the game on iRiver H120 Simulator.
> All other targets are untested. It would be nice if someone could test and
> report which targets are capable to run current code.
>

> My experience is that the biggest hassle is to create keymaps for various
targets. With proper defines everything should work out of the box. So if
this would be possible to use PLA this would be BIG win.

Thanks for your effort, rick was one of my favorite titles back then.

Marcin