Subject: Re: d81b362: iBasso DX50: Digital filter roll off setting.

Re: d81b362: iBasso DX50: Digital filter roll off setting.

From: Udo Schläpfer <rockbox-2014.10_at_desktopwarrior.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:52:16 +0100

Hello.

On 08.02.2015 00:21, Mike Giacomelli wrote:
> This commit should not have been made without discussion because:

Sorry about that. It seemed obvious to provide the same functionality as
the original firmware where possible.

> 1) We had previously rejected it

You expressed your doubts that this has a discernable effect on audio.

I abandoned it, because I could not confirm that this is actually
supported by DX50 firmware 1.5.

This is confirmed to work an DX50 firmware 1.6. This is a configurable
option in Rockbox on supporting devices since 2013. This is a capability
of the device and a configurable in the original firmeware.

Remember, this was one of the selling points of the alternate firmwares
out there.

It my be, that this has no discernable effect on audio, but I for once
want to least have the option to decided this for myself.

> 2) We generally try to avoid giving users frivolous hardware settings.

http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/467/

"This certainly seems like a peculiar thing to expose to a user, but I
guess these devices are marketed at people who want an excuse to tweak
things so perhaps that is the idea."

It is. In the same line as 44.1/48kHz playback, software balance,
parameteric eq, surround filters and Doom. Not strictly necessary, easy
to ignore, but nice to have ...

TschÖ Udo.