Subject: Re: "User selectable freq scaling governor"

Re: "User selectable freq scaling governor"

From: Eduard Kutuev <nap_at_napych.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:08:41 +0300

> A setting for user selectable freq scaling governor (for ibasso players)
> was added in 040306a. Can anyone explain why this is needed? It's a
> setting that the vast majority of users will have no clue about, while
> those who actually know what it means won't know what to set it to.
>
> I would expect that for rockbox use, one of those possible governors
> will consistently be the best one to use. I'd suggest figuring out which
> one that is and then using it. For developer experiments, a debug menu
> item is a good way to play with this, but a user-visible setting?
> Really?

This setting directly affects sound quality. Many iBasso DX90 users noticed improvement of SQ with governor mode set to Performance instead of Dynamic. That was one of well-accepted tweaks of official firmware. With newer ibasso’s firmware it’s set to Performance by default, but:
1. That may be an issue for android kernel hosted players in the future.
2. Some users with hardware modifications of their DAPs may wish to disable it.
3. Hardcoding it to Powersave lead to problems with default Mango player.
4. Some vendors may set one of fixed governors modes for stability just because dynamic or high CPU frequrency or overheating lead to some kind of problems on android kernel hosted devices.