Subject: Re: ARM toolchain

Re: ARM toolchain

From: Boris Gjenero via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 09:38:15 -0400

On 2016-05-05 06:07 AM, Amaury Pouly wrote:

> The removal of #ifdef CLZ_HWI and #ifdef CTZ_HWI code is not needed
> for successful building. That changes floor_log2() and exact_log2()
> from code based on one of the __builtin_clz functions to alternative
> code. I'm left wondering what is the reason for that change.
>
> My old compiler, a new one with this patch, and a new one without
> the #ifdef code removal all produce the exact same ipodvideo
> rockbox.bin.
>
> The reason of the change is because the newer GCC compile in C11 mode by
> default (instead of C89), which has slightly stricter rules on function
> redefinition. This patches only makes sure the code compiles in C11, but
> otherwise the compiler is exactly the same. You can find more
> information about this patch here:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-06/msg01249.html

I understand now. The removal of #ifdef CLZ_HWI and #ifdef CTZ_HWI code
simply removes code which will never be compiled due to conditionals.
Both floor_log2() and exact_log2() used to be inside an "#if GCC_VERSION
< 3004 || !defined (__cplusplus)" block. After the patch it becomes just
a #if GCC_VERSION < 3004 block. In toplev.h, CLZ_HWI and CTZ_HWI are
only #defined if GCC_VERSION >= 3004.

This looks good and the gcc-patches message says it got committed there
also. The patch should definitely be used.

(Resending this to rockbox-dev separately because I forgot to use reply
to all the first time.)