Subject: Clarifiy AUDIOHW_SETTINGS and fix some targets, update manual

Clarifiy AUDIOHW_SETTINGS and fix some targets, update manual

From: Amaury Pouly via rockbox-dev <>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:47:48 +0100

Hi all,
I was reading through some audio code to understand (again) AUDIOHW_SETTING
and reached the conclusion that this macro is horribly undocumented. I
believe this confusion has lead some targets to use values that don't even
make sense. I attempted to document the macro in
and also fix some strange values in

Can someone who knows this part of the code tell me if I understood
correctly how the macro works and have a look at those values I changed ?
In particular, it seems to me that there is a problem in the wm8978 driver (, more precisely the line-in gain
range claimed does not seem to match how the code setups the hardware. This
codec is used on the Gigabeat S and YP-R1 but I don't have the
hardware/time to debug this in detail.

I have also document 3D enhancement in the manual, feel free to have a pick
before I push it:

I have more audio documentation in the pipes but this is a first step.