Subject: Multiboot Bootloaders

Multiboot Bootloaders

From: Wilgus William via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:49:33 -0500

Hi all,

I've been working on adding multiboot functionality to
bootloaders on players that support multiple drives/volumes.
currently, I have a pretty good system laid out with the addition
of bootdata.h from Amaury I'm able to pass back the boot volume
to the firmware where we can use jhMikeS' 'mount any directory as
root' to allow redirect.

The current functionality is as such:
rockbox_main.<playername> (clip+, fuze+ etc..) is placed in the root of the
volume you would like the firmware to be loaded from if this file is blank
then
FW is loaded from /.rockbox in the root of this volume.
If instead a path is specified in the file then the firmware is loaded
from /<new path>/.rockbox, If the file is not found or doesn't contain the
bootdata header in the image then firmware loading falls back to standard
behavior.

If anyone has suggestions / objections I look forward to your reply
though be aware, some of these targets have very little free space
in the bootloader fw images.