Subject: Re: Multiboot Bootloaders

Re: Multiboot Bootloaders

From: Wilgus William via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:30:48 -0500

>> I imagine multiboot would be very useful if one, say, had a stable
>> version of Rockbox on the internal memory and a development version on
>> an SD card.
>>

>I think that's a potentially very useful feature for development on targets
>with SD card.

>I am globally okay with the description of Bilgus, but the details about
>how to handle bootloaders with very small free space are tricky.

My main goal for multiboot is to allow the reduction of writes/reads to
NAND to hopefully increase the longevity of targets
But since we are already there there is the added benefit of faster testing
of dev versions and maybe even multiple firmware on a single sd card, not
to mention the ability for one to transfer whole installs between separate
( although the same model) player

The code for Multiboot and bootdata together add 732 bytes to the sansa
clip+ bootloader.

Assuming reducing the functionality of is_diacritic with (g#1560) doesn't
break anything in the bootloader which, as far as I can tell, is only used
for the string display (lcd formatting) that removes ~860 bytes. So in
theory if a bootloader fits/compiles today it should still fit with at
least 30 bytes to spare after.
(note: these values are before compression)