Subject: Re: Future 3.14 release

Re: Future 3.14 release

From: Steph MM _at_ yahoo via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 08:44:08 +0000 (UTC)

If that can be explained briefly, what are the differences/reasons to choose between SW & HW codec ?
Especially and in relation to the specs of a given player how will it affect the sound quality, which one will be more optimized in terms of CPU & internal memory AND ultimately battery life.

My guess is SW and HW might be alternately the best option depending on how good the player specs are. I would also would think that HW decoding make more sense with players showing HiFi oriented components.

This is not only a matter of curiosity : as an end user, opting for a release upgrade might not be useful/necessary if the one I'm currently using is stable and works fine, it would even be a bad idea if it pull the battery life down.

I do believe in code improvement but so far, as an end user, I don't really see it between releases.

Lastly, the only feature that does not work (far too slow) on any of my players is the tag navigation. I suppose it depends on the memory size and subsequent number of files (I use 128GB external SD) but it definitely depends on the code also as it's the only feature where original FW (Sansa Clip players, Cowon D2) beats rockbox. Would that feature become simply usable, it would change the way I can potentially use my players. I certainly would not drop folder nav for good but on many occasions, tag nav would be helpful !

Tshaw !! Steph envoyé de mon aMac