Subject: Re: Proposed Function Additions to Plugins

Re: Proposed Function Additions to Plugins

From: Amaury Pouly via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 00:18:52 +0200

> *sound_current(int setting)*
>
> * returns the current sound setting from global_settings*
> * complements sound_max, sound_min and sound_default*
>
> ^This will allow current sound setting to be read consistent with how the
> current functions allow min, max and default to be read from a plugin

Sounds okay to me, to be honest I always found it surprising that we can
set but not get the current value.

> * set_sleeptimer_duration(int minutes)*
> * get_sleep_timer(void)*
>
> ^I'd like to add this to allow sleep timer to be read/set/reset from
> plugins

No opinion, I know nothing about the sleep timer.

> * set_speaker_mode(int speaker_mode)*
> * get_speaker_mode(void)*
>
> That sounds okay to me on principle, however I would be curious to know
the application and also what is the intention:
will this change the current mode AND the setting on disk (ie it's a
permanent change until the setting is changed by user or API) ?

> I'd also like to get g#1566 Committed for lua to have access to the version
>
> *'PLUGIN_API_VERSION'*
> *'PLUGIN_MIN_API_VERSION'*
>
> Can you elaborate how this would be useful? I understand that at the
moment the C plugins have a strict version handling whereas the lua ones do
not.
However having access to those does not immediately solve the problem
unless you manually track the minimum version required which is something
easily broken/forgotten.
I do not have a good solution for this at the moment I admit, I will think
about it.