Subject: Wolfenstein 3-D port

Wolfenstein 3-D port

From: me--- via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 22:13:27 -0400

Hi all,

I have decided to finish my port of Wolfenstein 3-D (available at http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1653/). Before I push it, there are some licensing issues that need to be cleared up. My current code is using MAME's OPL emulator, which is GPL incompatible. I intend to replace it with DosBox's OPL emulator, which should solve that issue.

However, the main issue--and the reason I am writing the list--is this: the license of the original Wolfenstein 3-D source code itself is unclear. Id software officially released the code under a custom, restrictive license. However, over the years, various source ports claim that it is GPL compatible (see https://github.com/AlumiuN/Wolf4SDL, for example), and I think it's doubtful that id would waste their time chasing down infringing users of a 27-year old game.

That leads to the question of whether or not we should (whatever that might mean) include my Wolfenstein port in the master branch. Thoughts?

Franklin