Subject: Transition proposal

Transition proposal

From: Franklin Wei via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 04:38:11 +0000

Hi all,

I think it's time we began to develop an official plan for the transition. Solomon and I have reached a consensus on the following points (discussed on IRC):

* General hosting: Solomon will self-host and administer all migrated services, which will all be contained within a VM or similar. Trusted volunteers will have root access to the infrastructure to reduce his workload and speed turnaround times. Periodic backups will be stored by trusted volunteers to ensure continuity.

* Web site: Continue as-is.

* Wiki: Continue as-is with Foswiki, but with the option of migrating to a new wiki platform in the future.

* Forums: Undecided. Options are:

 1) Create a static mirror of the current state of forums.rockbox.org, and make it accessible/searchable somewhere. (Perhaps we can offload this to archive.org?) Set up redirects on the current subdomain to point to the archived version, thus preserving old URLs. Stand up a fresh forum site using something modern, supported, and accepted by the open source community (e.g. Discourse) at a new subdomain, e.g. community.rockbox.org.

 2) Upgrade SMF to newest version and continue as-is.

* Themes/Translate: Continue as-is, perhaps on separate infrastructure (as these deal with user-created content).

* Code hosting: Continue as-is with our current Gerrit setup and Github mirror. This allows us to avoid migrating existing patch sets to GH pull requests (non-trivial), and to maintain the current integration of Gerrit with our current build system.

The Github mirror will serve as a backup to ensure the continued availability of code.

* Build system: Continue as-is with new build master. The current system works well enough and is accepted by developers. Migration to a mainstream CI system would be excessively complex with little to gain.

* Issue tracking: Continue using Flyspray, updated to the current version. Solomon has proposed closing old issues while we're at it, but this is secondary.

Overall this is a very conservative approach to the transition which avoids major rewrites and largely preserves things as they are -- we simply do not have the manpower to undertake anything more complex.

In the meantime, I propose that we appoint Solomon as the official transition manager so he can act on behalf of the community and obtain access to the current Haxx servers and data.

Thoughts?

--
Franklin