Subject: Re: Bumping arm and m68k toolchains to gcc 4.9.4

Re: Bumping arm and m68k toolchains to gcc 4.9.4

From: Sebastian Leonhardt via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 18:01:33 +0200

> Oh, cleaning up the compiler flags is definitely on my to-do list, but I
> lack access to a sufficiently diverse set of targets to do much
> benchmarking (or much general testing) myself.

I can test some of the PP targets: Samsung YH820 and YH925 (both
PP5020), Philips (PP5022 IIRC) and iPod Mini gen1. I also can test
Creative ZEN, Creative ZEN XFi2 and Fuze+. However time is the limiting
factor ATM :)
Just leave a note on IRC (I always read the logs) or PM me.

> IMO we should use -Os for everything, and only use -O2 or -O3 if
> benchmarks show a tangible benefit (and the code still fits, obviously).

Would it be feasible to compile to Thumb-mode (ARM targets only, of
course)? This could give even more savings. However it may be neccessary
to keep computationally intensive code parts like Codecs in ARM mode.

As a side note, I tried out different optimation settings on a PP5020
target with my WIP 2600 emulator; -O2 gave the best results, -O3
resulted in a much bigger binary and was even slightly slower.
Consequently shrinking code size had positive effekts (even when I
removed inlining etc.).

Sebastian