Subject: Re: Bumping arm and m68k toolchains to gcc 4.9.4

Re: Bumping arm and m68k toolchains to gcc 4.9.4

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:15:57 -0400

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 05:50:57PM -0400, Solomon Peachy via rockbox-dev wrote:
> I know that mini2g (PP5022, arm7tdmi) appears to go boom in
> threading/locking code, but it's not clear where the root cause is, and
> doing remote debugging is challenging in the best of circumstances.

Just wanted to put a small update here; after some digging forcing the
PP port to use only one CPU allows the bootup to succeed, with mixed
success playing stuff back. There's also an indication that ROLOing the
multi-processor PP image over a running system allows it to boot
properly as well.

All other GCC 4.9.4 targets tested so far (a couple m68k, non-PP ARM,
mips, hosted mips, and even sh) appear to be operational. So from where
I sit if we/I can figure out the cause of the PP data abort, this
toolchain bump can proceed.

I'm trying to analyze the 4.4.4 and 4.9.4 asm dumps to see if anything
stands out, but it's slow (and eye-bleeding) going so far...

(Needless to say, I'd welcome the help of someone who knows this hardware!)

Cheers,

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      _at_pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)