FS#8948 - Building .talk files with rbutil -- long file-name problems

Attached to Project: Rockbox
Opened by Mr. Brownstone (Brownstone) - Tuesday, 29 April 2008, 10:21 GMT
Last edited by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Tuesday, 06 January 2009, 10:51 GMT
Task Type Bugs
Category Rbutil
Status Closed
Assigned To No-one
Operating System Iriver H300 series
Severity Low
Priority Normal
Reported Version Daily build (which?)
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No


As title: rbutil falls over when it encounters a file-name that is around 120 characters long.

Here is a screenshot of the error, plus the console output of the command "find -iname '*.talk'":
This task depends upon

Closed by  Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother)
Tuesday, 06 January 2009, 10:51 GMT
Reason for closing:  Fixed
Additional comments about closing:  Behaviour has been changed to minimize issues. No response from reporter so considering this as fixed.
Comment by Dominik Wenger (Domonoky) - Tuesday, 29 April 2008, 17:12 GMT

i just tried to generate a Talkfile for a file with about 140 char lenght, and it was successfull.
could you provide us with this failing File, so we can reproduce the error ?

Also, which version of Rbutil are you useing ?
Comment by Mr. Brownstone (Brownstone) - Wednesday, 30 April 2008, 22:31 GMT
I'm using revision 17207 m1.0.5 as currently offered on I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

Here is the file in the screenshot so you can test:
Comment by Mr. Brownstone (Brownstone) - Monday, 05 May 2008, 17:38 GMT
Building the talk-files works fine after moving some of the problem files up a few folders, including for the file posted above. After generation I simply moved the files back to their original folders, along with the talk-files.

So I guess the issue is to do with a short buffer somewhere?
Comment by Dominik Wenger (Domonoky) - Tuesday, 06 May 2008, 20:24 GMT

A short buffer sounds likely, but i just cant reproduce this problem.
I tried hard with very long filenames and paths and i cant break it, maybe it because i am on Windows and not on linux :-)
Comment by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Monday, 26 May 2008, 21:33 GMT
I just tried to reproduce the issue on linux and can confirm it. After a bit of investigation it seems like espeak is the one to blame -- when calling it manually with the same arguments the filename gets truncated at around 120 characters. So strictly speaking this is not a rbutil bug.

Nevertheless, rbutil should create intermediate .wav and .talk files in the systems temporary folder first and copy them afterwards. This would also address speed issues on players with slow hard discs.
Comment by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Friday, 27 June 2008, 23:09 GMT
The issue has been addressed in svn by putting the intermediate wav file to the systems temporary folder instead placing it to the destination path. You could still run into problems if your filenames are rather long. Please check against svn.