• Status Closed
  • Percent Complete
  • Task Type Bugs
  • Category ID3 / meta data
  • Assigned To No-one
  • Operating System iAudio X5
  • Severity Low
  • Priority Very Low
  • Reported Version Version 3.1
  • Due in Version Undecided
  • Due Date Undecided
  • Votes
  • Private
Attached to Project: Rockbox
Opened by dwmw2 - 2009-03-26
Last edited by Buschel - 2011-07-27

FS#10057 - album art fails to display

Most of my album art works fine, although I haven’t worked out how to get it to work for albums with a question mark in their name.

I added ‘Fleetwood Mac-Rumours’ to my player today, and the album art for it doesn’t work.

The ID3 tags for artist/album look correct; it appears in the database correctly.

[dwmw2@macbook Rumours]$ id3info The\ Chain\ \(LP\ Version\).mp3 | egrep TPE1\|TALB
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Rumours
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Fleetwood Mac

The file ‘Fleetwood Mac-Rumours.bmp’ exists in the .rockbox/albumart directory and is correct:
[dwmw2@macbook albumart]$ file Fleetwood\ Mac-*
Fleetwood Mac-Miles of Greatest Hits.bmp: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 100 x 100 x 24
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours.bmp: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 100 x 100 x 24
Fleetwood Mac-Tango In The Night.bmp: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 100 x 100 x 24

It was generated with ‘convert -thumbnail 100×100 <input> Fleetwood\ Mac-Rumours.bmp’ like the others were. I’ve even tried cutting and pasting the artist and album name from the id3tags in case there was a typo I didn’t spot. I’ve checked for gratuitous spaces in the id3tags too… I have no idea why it isn’t finding the picture.

The bitmap is at

This is with version 3.2 with the cabbiev2 theme.

Closed by  Buschel
2011-07-27 06:36
Reason for closing:  Wont Fix
Additional comments about closing:   Warning: Undefined array key "typography" in /home/rockbox/flyspray/plugins/dokuwiki/inc/parserutils.php on line 371 Warning: Undefined array key "camelcase" in /home/rockbox/flyspray/plugins/dokuwiki/inc/parserutils.php on line 407

Not really a bug, but a less resilient implementation. Embedded album art is supported since a while now and is a perfect alternative.

Well, the BMP file seems fine, as it shown properly in the simulator, so it ought be something about the tags. One possibility is that there’s an album artist tag (TXXX frame with “album artist” as the description).

As for question marks, see appendix C (”Album Art”) in the manual. Short version: use “_” instead of “?” in the album art file name.

dwmw2 commented on 2009-03-28 14:26

* Tag information for The Chain (LP Version).mp3
=== TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment):
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): The Chain (LP Version)
=== TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 7
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Rumours
=== TCON (Content type): (13)
=== TIT3 (Subtitle/Description refinement):
=== TOAL (Original album/movie/show title):
=== TCOP (Copyright message):
=== TPUB (Publisher):
=== TBPM (BPM (beats per minute)):
=== TYER (Year): 2007
=== COMM (Comments): ()[dan]:
=== TSRC (ISRC (international standard recording code)):
=== PRIV (Private frame): (unimplemented)
=== TPOS (Part of a set):
=== USLT (Unsynchronized lyric/text transcription): ()[dan]:
=== TXXX (User defined text information): (MoreInfo): CD Vol 1
=== APIC (Attached picture): ()[, 0]: image/jpeg, 0 bytes
=== TCOM (Composer): Fleetwood Mac, FLEETWOOD MAC
=== TEXT (Lyricist/Text writer):
=== TOLY (Original lyricist(s)/text writer(s)):
=== TOPE (Original artist(s)/performer(s)):
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Fleetwood Mac
* mp3 info
MPEG1/layer III
Bitrate: 256KBps
Frequency: 44KHz

=== TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment):

That’s the issue. TPE2 is interpreted as “album artist” which takes precedence over TPE1 for album art purposes. Maybe the album art check should use artist is album artist is empty?

dwmw2 commented on 2009-03-28 21:53

Would seem sensible. I can strip the tags from these, of course – but these are as I bought them from so making them work out of the box would be more user-friendly.

I might go for ‘use artist if album artist doesn’t find you a valid picture’, rather than just ‘if album art is empty’.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a good idea. The attached (untested) patch does this (rather lazily, codewise, might be possible to save a few bytes by being smarter).

Another option would be to check if album artist contains anything (strlen > 0) before using it, similar to how the album field is checked. Avoids yet another file_exist…

True, but looking for both in turn means a higher chance of finding something (if the album-art is named ARTIST-ALBUM rather than ALBUMARTIST-ALBUM. I guess we could say that’s the fault of the user for not naming the AA correctly.


Available keyboard shortcuts


Task Details

Task Editing