• Status Closed
  • Percent Complete
  • Task Type Bugs
  • Category User Interface → Font/charset
  • Assigned To No-one
  • Operating System Iriver H300 series
  • Severity Medium
  • Priority Very Low
  • Reported Version
  • Due in Version Undecided
  • Due Date Undecided
  • Votes
  • Private
Attached to Project: Rockbox
Opened by glasladen2 - 2006-02-27

FS#4741 - German font problem

Hello everybody!

I mistakenly posted this one in the “Feature Requests” first. So now I put it here - in the “right place” I hope.

I’m German, and I do not exactly know if there is an english version of the german word “Umlaut” existing - the translation website gave me an output like “secondary umlaut”; thus I wrote this at the summary.

What I mean with “Umlaut” are the german characters ä, ö and ü, which can be substituted by the strings ae, oe and ue. Perhaps you’ll find the HTML codes for these characters useful to understand what I mean: The HTML codes for these caracters would be

ä ä
ö ö
ü ü

and finally, there would be the german “sharp s” (the remaining German-only character)

ß ß


Until about middle of January 2006 it was possible to read german .txt-Files with the “secondary umlauts” properly displayed. Since middle January it
seems there must have been some changes on the text viewer so now it cannot display the umlauts anymore. Instead of these characters there are only
some rectangles. I looked at “General Settings/Display/Default Codepage and tried to modify around some things, but no success either.

Would it be possible to re-insert the support for the umlauts? Would be great because reading with gaps is quite annoying ;-)

thx, glasladen2

Closed by  linusnielsen
2006-03-01 13:34
Reason for closing:  Fixed
Additional comments about closing:   Warning: Undefined array key "typography" in /home/rockbox/flyspray/plugins/dokuwiki/inc/parserutils.php on line 371 Warning: Undefined array key "camelcase" in /home/rockbox/flyspray/plugins/dokuwiki/inc/parserutils.php on line 407

This is now fixed in CVS. It now respects the default code page setting.

The current version of viewer supports only UTF-8 encoded files. So if you have files in encoding like iso-8859-1 or windows-1252, convert them to UTF-8. You can use for example iconv utility or in Windows 2000 and newer notepad → Save as.. → UTF-8. See also this nice Unicode Guide:


Available keyboard shortcuts


Task Details

Task Editing