|| Drawing into our classic framebuffer. Android draws from that in its usual update procedures with the aid of the Bitmap and SurfaceVuew? classes
|| Touchscreen + front buttons all working, no keyboard support yet though
| Music playback
|| Playing music files back works flawlessly using AudioTrack? API (NOTE: some HTC phones with 2.1 are broken and may not be able to keep decoding if in the background). Some people report sporadic failure
| FM Radio
|| Not yet implemented. There's no API for this, seems to be something the manufacturers add onto their OS (without opening the source)
|| Not yet implemented
| Power Management
|| Battery level readout works. Rockbox idles quite efficiently when not playing music. Idle poweroff and sleep timer work. Dynamic ticks would be nice
| Host integration
|| Receiving calls, backlight on/off, Activity pause/unpause is handled, wired headset buttons work. Android widgets for yesno and keyboard input are used. Homescreen widget. Sharing volume with global OS volume
- Integrate the port into the build system so we can distribute .apk files.
- Research what's needed in order to be able to distribute Rockbox for multiple screen dimensions (that can, but needn't, mean that Rockbox should be build screen resolution independent)
- a patch which implements dynamic screen sizes is available on the tracker
- Maybe FM Radio and Recording
Procedure for installation from source
- NOTE: The installation has only been tested on Linux so far, but should in theory work on Windows(cygwin)/Mac as well.
- Download and install the Android SDK and NDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html
- Set up the SDK and NDK as per README in the android folder.
- If you like eclipse: Import the Rockbox eclipse project from the android folder (File->New->Other->Android->Android Project; then select 'Create Project from existing Source')
- Make the environment variables ANDROID_SDK_PATH point to the SDK and ANDROID_NDK_PATH to the NDK directories (the latter is needed by configure).
- Build librockbox.so as usual in the android/ directory of Rockbox trunk (configure with tools/configure and follow the directions) (../tools/configure && make -j3)
- Execute make zip and make apk (you need a debug signature setup for signing the apk).
- Attach your phone and use 'adb install -r rockbox.apk' to install the app or use eclipse to "Run" the project.
Copyright © by the contributing authors.